PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Johnson - Pollock Lumber Co.

North American Narrow Gauge; West of the Rockies (including Canada; Mexico).

Re: Johnson - Pollock Lumber Co.

Postby elminero67 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Yeah-didn't hope to see much in the snow, but any excuse to get away from the TV is good enough for me.

Based on the description I read the meter gauge line it must have been very near Bray, possibly on Orr Mountain (see the 1941 USGS "Bray" 1:62500 topo below) which may have been served by lines from the north too (possibly from Kegg siding where at least one or two mills had operated) The entrepreneur who owned the meter gauge railroad was an interesting man-he was only 26 years old when was 'president" of the company that operated both a sawmill and a short railroad. When WWI commenced he served with the armed forces in France- using his expertise constructing narrow gauge railroads and sawmills. Sounds like he did more by the time he was 30 than most of us do in a lifetime.

elminero67

Re: Johnson - Pollock Lumber Co.

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 am

I am working on a revision to the Johnson - Pollock page. Thanks to the Siskiyou Historical Society Siskiyou Pioneer & yearbook, 1987 I have a little more information to help fill out this story. It seems most of what Randy and I pieced together is correct.

Here are a few pieces of the puzzle that I've gleaned:

A.B. Johnson got into the lumber business in the Philippines shortly after serving as the U.S. Consol to China. When he returned stateside he formed the new company.

The agreement between Johnson and Pollock saw Pollock's land holdings and mill became part of the company in exchange for $5350.00 and 3 cents per thousand board feet marketable pine timber and 25 cents per thousand feet of other timber.

The agreement also included the loading platform in Jerome, the sawmill, lumber yard, and the tramway with cars among other equipment.

Demand for lumber was driven by a boom driven by WWI. Apparently a bulk of the lumber J-P was selling went overseas to aid rebuilding England.

There were two fires, the first was in the wood yard and a couple years later the mill burned. After the mill was burned it was packed up and moved to what is now Pollock Pines (East of Sacramento).

Further information about the logging railroads around Mt Hebron is included, I will touch upon them later. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but I do recall there being some clarification about where the J-P equipment wound up.

One last note: Google Maps has been upgrading their imagery throughout the year and I noticed quite a few ties are still on the ground at Jerome.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Previous

Return to Western Narrow Gauge Discussion