PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

New SPng roster book coming- and other book news.

New SPng roster book coming- and other book news.

Postby John Coker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:40 pm

I have been doing business with Joe Dale Morris who is finished editing a new SPng book.It will be all rosters, and photos of rolling stock (forgot to ask if there will locomotives as well, but assume so). It will cover all equipment from the beginning of the Carson and Colorado to end of operations. He told me there will be many new scale drawings of rolling stock. They will all be Sn3, on account S-scale drawings fit well in book format. The SP Historical & Techical society will publish it. They are planning to publish late September or early October. Joe Dale says on account of the popularity of the narrow gauge book, a third book may be developed.

I am presently working on a painting for cover art. It is of SP #18 leaving Owenyo for Keeler. I did the cover of Joe Dale's excellent book on the Owens Valley line from 1940 to 1960. Joe Dale is very proud that he used hardly any published photos, and the content is outstanding. I would rate it, along with Westcott and Johnson's "Pacific Coast Railway " as one of the two finest books on any Far West narrow-gauge lines.

Other books soon to be released is a new one authored by Mallory Hope Ferrell on the Nevada Central. That tome will be out in late September. A coker painting of NC #2 will be on the cover. He also is almost finished with a book on the Lake Tahoe Railway and Transportation Co. Somewhere in that book I will have a painting of #1 at the wharf with the beautiful S.S. Tahoe coming about.
John Coker

Re: New SPng roster book coming- and other book news.

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Several of us are eagerly waiting for the SPNG Equipment book, I've heard it is going to be a quite a treat. I hadn't heard about that Tahoe book, that'll be interesting to see.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Solomani » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 pm

John,

Thanks for the heads up. All three of those books are of great interest to me so I will watch for them and start saving my sheckles.

-John
Solomani

Postby John Coker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm

I talked to Joe Dale today. He e-mailed the cover of of the new book-"Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Locomotives and Freight Equipment" "Also including Carson & Colorado R.R. and Nevada and California R.R." It is by Joe Bader. I would love to show the cover, but do not want to upset anyone. Joe Dale said the first SPng book sold out two editions. A third book is also in the works. It would cover structures and passenger equipment.
John Coker

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:41 pm

I ran into Herman Darr today and we talked for a while about the book. He mentioned that the new book will be roughly the same size as Joe Dale's last book. Herman had been helping give his opinion as to images to be included in the book. Many of the locomotive photographs he says are quite wonderful, it sounds like SP fans are going to be in for a treat!
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Brian Norden » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:51 pm

I received an email from Bob Bader and he said that his roster book (edited and production work by Joe Dale Morris) was on the way to the printer. He wrote:
Thought I would let you know my book went to SPH&TS on the 15th of this month and the profes should be back to Joe Dale next week. It is expected to be out before Christmas. I think they will be taking advanced orders for it at the convention in San Luis Obispo.

It's not all I wanted in it but still pretty complete at 380 pages. We got pretty rushed toward the last. As the brochure says it has something for everyone.

I think Bob means the convention in Sacramento which will be next week.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Brian Norden » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:35 pm

The Southern Pacific Historical & Technical Society just concluded its annual convention held this year in Sacramento. As expected it announced that the new book it is publishing and written by Bob Bader was at the printers and is expected to be shipped approximately December 1, 2010.

The book is entitled Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Locomotives and Freight Equipment 1880-1960. The announced retail price is $85.00 + S&H.

There was a reduced size copy of the pages displayed at the convention. And the book is impressive. The book includes plans and diagrams in the book drawn by Bob Bader, Herman Darr and Joe Dale Morris. Many photos that have never been in print before.

The SPH&TS is offering its members a pre-publication 20% discount. There was a flier at the convention and orders were being taken. Nothing yet is available on the SPH&TS website.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Return to Product Announcements and Reviews