Maxwell Collection, future uncertain

Discussion of Park and Museum activities, including Event Announcements.
Loco112

Maxwell Collection, future uncertain

Post by Loco112 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:58 am

The latest news is that the Maxwells are apparently waiting on a big $$ offer for John W's Collection.

I spoke to one of my contacts who knows what is happening, and he said that the CRRM has not been able to even get the Maxwells to seriously consider selling to the CRRM.

We should not allow that collection to go just anywhere without a bid to keep it near us and available, we (you, me, and the other NG nuts) should buy it.

What could happen;

My fear is that this collection gets scattered to the winds or sold to some private collector that hides it away for the next 50 years.

How about another 30 years of unavailability, like what happened with Jackson Thode's collections or the with the "Denver HO Model RR Club's" massive D&RGW prototype NG Original blueprint collections. Have you ever even heard of those collections? Do you know why, because they were hidden away from you since the early to mid 1970's and some from the 1980's, and you were unable to buy copies or know what was in those collections, or even get verification that those collections existed, for most of that 30 years.

Issues;

The blueprints need to be preserved and continue to be made available to the replica builders the world over at reasonable (cheap) rates, like John always charged.

The CRRM needs a library expansion before they can under take much in the way of new collections, but we must not let that deter us, we need to act now to insure the collections future.

Eventually we will aim to get the collection either housed at the Colorado RR museum or placed in a similar NG friendly institution.

What if's ;

My initial thought is that we come together to organize a .org with the purpose of purchasing the drawings and informational portion (not the photos) of the Maxwell collection. By having every member buy into the .org we would use their entry monies to buy the collection.

Raising money. If we could get people to buy in and one of us or a few of us could approach the Maxwells prior to any of the .orgs incorporation to inquire about the dollar amount they would like to receive for the collection.

Think of the Maxwell collection as "your" collection, as it is going to hurt you if it goes away. The negative impact it will have on many of our great current and future replica projects will be massive. The positive impact that insuring its future will have will be even more massive, and that has to happen, we have to make sure that collection is; housed, taken care or, and made available to our peers.

As you can see this is just the initial concept. Please add to this and let us figure out a solution for the future of this collection.
Last edited by Loco112 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112

Andrew Brandon

Re: Maxwell Collection, future uncertain

Post by Andrew Brandon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:11 am

One of our long term goals has been to get PacificNG setup as a .org, time to do so has proven to be scarce. If need be, we have no issues with providing support (i.e. space) for the collection. The goal here has always been to document and preserve information for the "we" and to have this site move beyond something viewed as "Andrew" or "Craig's" site. This project was started to provide a home for collections and information, preserving part of the Maxwell collection is most assuredly within our scope. Perhaps it is time to start pushing forward towards becoming a 503C.

I will be able to contribute in anyway I can towards your proposal. I know Craig is exceptionally busy at the moment but he'd help in whatever way he can I am sure. There must be others here on the forum and beyond that would support such an idea.

Off the top of my head, my first question is that of storage. Who/Where would be able to maintain the collection until the suggested CRRM idea were possible? Do we have any insight into the volume of the Maxwell drawings?

I am curious to hear the thoughts of others on this subject that are much more knowledgable about these matters.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:30 pm

When I had heard awhile back that the collection might go up for sale I fantasized about aproaching them and continuing the business that he had going. But, alas, I knew full well I would not have time to do it any justice. This idea could work though. Pease count me in.

btw... what is the "big $$" offer they are expecting?

-John

Loco112

Post by Loco112 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:01 am

I don't know the numberss, and I'm not sure anyone that I know has the real number. I wish I knew who they a had talked to so I could figure out who to call about it.
Last edited by Loco112 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Looking forward to seeing the list!

r3feetr

Post by r3feetr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Andrew,

I guess its time to "throw in the towel" and revise the home page and add Colorado to the state list. :lol:

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Whoa there John, let's not get hasty! I still have to add Central America and Canada to the list first! :lol:

Though to be fair and completely honest, the D&RG/RGW would fall under the Utah category anyway. ;)
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!