PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Oahu's Narrow Gauge Navy Rail

Discussion of Park and Museum activities, including Event Announcements.

Oahu's Narrow Gauge Navy Rail

Postby Jeff Livingston » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:40 am

Twenty-four years after my transfer to Pearl Harbor my attempt to document the Navy's narrow gauge railroad operations on Oahu has reached some kind of fruition. "Oahu's Narrow Gauge Navy Rail" will be released by Arcadia Publishing 15 September 2014. All royalties (if any) go the Hawaiian Railway Society. While limited to 128 pages, causing some information to be left out, the book covers the Navy's railroads at Pearl Harbor, Lualualei, West Loch and Waikele between 1908 and 1972. Members of this forum contributed to the book but you'll have to buy a copy and read the acknowledgements to find out who. I hope this effort meets with approval, ie. sales, and any questions will be answered here or via the HRS website. Any additional information you've been hoarding would be appreciated too. For you ground pounders, this swabbie is working on a companion piece about the Army operations too.

Jeff Livingston
Historian
Hawaiian Railway Society
Jeff Livingston

Re: Oahu's Narrow Gauge Navy Rail

Postby Brian Norden » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 pm

I finally got around to ordering a copy of this book direct from Arcadia Press and arrived today. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking through it and reading the captions. Very interesting and worth the price.

Jeff searched out an interesting set of photos especially of the ones of the equipment shipped from the mainland to Oahu during World War II.

Very nice.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Re: Oahu's Narrow Gauge Navy Rail

Postby Jeff Livingston » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Thank you for the comments Brian. There are two errors that got past me. On pages 90/91 the photo credit should be NPS vice HRS and on page 119 the two ex-USN porters shown on the KRR should be 65 ton vice 45 ton.

Jeff Livingston
Jeff Livingston

Return to Parks, Museums, and Events