Mexico as a topic ??

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Brian Norden

Mexico as a topic ??

Post by Brian Norden » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 pm

I was wondering if there is any forum or discussion group out on the web that would cover Mexico and the narrow gauges there?

I recently received an email from an occasional correspondent relating newly discovered information about one of the narrow gauges down in Mexico. Roster information for one that Gerald Best did not have a roster for in his book.
Brian Norden

Randy Hees

Re: Mexico as a topic ??

Post by Randy Hees » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm

As one of the moderators, I would welcome such a discussion.

We are Pacific coast oriented, and most of Mexico's narrow gauges were on the Atlantic side, but there are lots of connections, from Howard Shiller (sp?) who worked for Palmer on Kansas and Colorado projects, then move to a position with the NPC, then moved on to Mexico. The Carter Brothers built box cars "for parties in Mexico"

Go ahead...

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Okay, here it is. It has a very eastern connection; but, it's all interesting.
Allen Copeland wrote to me:
Is there a news group that is interested and discusses narrow gauge topics? I recently received some new roster data on a 36" gauge line in Mexico, the FC San Marcos & Nautla. This line is mentioned in Best's Narrow Gauge in Mexico as being taken over in 1902 by the Interoceanic, but no locomotive data is provided, and the locos do not seem to have been renumbered into the FCI. The line had two Hinkley 0-6-4Ts, nos. 1-2 named "Vicente Alfaro" and "General Carrillo". The only Hinkley 0-6-4Ts built that I can find were built for Nickle Plate predicessor Toledo & St. Louis. Rehor's disposition data on these is sketchy, and he has all/most of them being converted to standard gauge.

The line had other locomotives as well, another #1, a Porter 4-4-0 named "Guadalupe", a #15 2-6-0 from Baldwin named "Felipe Martel", and two British built 0-6-0T's. nos. 101-102. One said to be from Dubs and the other Summer & Co., a name which is unfamiliar to me.
Brian Norden

John Coker

Post by John Coker » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:33 pm

I think Mexico and Latin America is a great topic. NOBODY has posted on n.g. lines Down Under, and it has a page here. Lots of Mexico lines were deep in the interior. The Mexican Southern ran from the Valley of Mexico deep into the southern mountains, to fabled Oaxaca. Two former D&RGW K-27s ran on this rugged road, even after it was standard-gauged in the late 1940s. The NdeM had about 20 ALCO articulateds. Plus there were n.g. mining lines that ran steam in Sonora and Baja California till the 1960s. The variety of operations was simply incredible.

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:37 am

John,

As we continue to grow we'll be including Mexican lines, and eventually the rest of Central and South America. Granted this is some time off, but we're not opposed to such discussions here in the meantime.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

James

Post by James » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:57 am

I know this site is 'pacific narrow gauge', but I find it interesting as a source of, shall I say, non-Colorado narrow gauge information in general (and particularly for info not pertaining solely to 20th century D&RGW). This site is particularly good as a source of 1870's and 1880's NG information, which just happens to coincide with my own area of interest.

Mexico's early narrow gauge had some interesting motive power worthy of mention, such as the first deep firebox 2-8-0's (which later led to the adoption of outside frame construction) as well as a couple 2-10-0's (~19,000 lbs tractive power, on a narrow gauge wood burner, in 1881!) which seem to have no US counterparts.

CraigH

Post by CraigH » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:39 am

James, and everyone else...

As one of the guys that started PacificNG.com consider this:

PacificNG's content, car builders, loco builders, governmental railroad reports , and color for example is not region or gauge specific. Much of the info on the site so far is relevant to all of the U.S. and to both Standard and Narrow Gauges.

Car Builders and Loco Builders sold equipment outside the Pacific Coast Region, many exported out of the Continental U.S.

The Color Section reflects national trends over a lot of years, there's nothing strictly Pacific Coast or Narrow Gauge about that.

From very early on we've wanted to cover the entire Pacific Rim, in North America we'd like to consider ANY road not heavily covered at present....that includes little swamp roads down south, little Narrow Gauges in the Dakotas, etc. Central America, South America, Pacific Islands, Japan, can all be considered Fair game.

About the only region we're not specifically covering is 20th Century Colorado...there's plenty of great resources that exist already. We're NOT going to exclude "Colorado", as the site grows there will be plenty of information appropriate for that region, particulary for the early days.

As the site expands, we rely on guys like you with an interest in Roads or Regions not yet covered! We can readily expand the Forum and Site to accommodate new areas.

If it didn't have so many keystrokes, we'd have called the site "PacificRimandtheOtherRoadsNG.com"!

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator

James

Post by James » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:12 pm

"PacificRimandtheOtherRoadsNG.com"!

That just wouldn't have the same ring to it! :mrgreen:

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:08 pm

I always felt that pacificng was short and to the point. ;)
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

elminero67

Post by elminero67 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:44 pm

There is a group called "South of the Border" that has info on railroads in latin America, and another called Mexlist that focuses more on modern stuff. Both sites have great people, but Id love to have a Mexico section, there is some great railroading down there that we tend to ignore. Having said that I've spent the last seven years writing a book on Narrow Gauge railroads in Sonora, Mexico, which is Arizona's neighbor, should be out by New Years. If you can start a section for Mexican Railroads, I'd post frequently!