Looking for info on a Porter-Bell Loco

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
CraigH

Looking for info on a Porter-Bell Loco

Post by CraigH » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:56 am

So, perhaps someone with the skinny on the last surviving Porter-Bell engine will put that up on your website? She's from the Pacific Coast Co family...
Michael York
Cincinnati, OH
This question appeared over on the TOC Yahoo Group. Anyone have an answer?

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator

Andrew Brandon

Re: Looking for info on a Porter-Bell Loco

Post by Andrew Brandon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect he's referring to the "Blue Mountain".

Here is the page with information.
http://www.wsrhs.org/bmhis.htm
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:50 am

That is exactly what I was referring to. Here's all I was previously able to find:
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive ... splay=1549
Plus a little bit in Best's book.

Based on the photo you posted, she appears to have received a little bit of TLC.

Thank you.

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 am

One of these days I am going to make it up there to take a look at the locomotive. Sadly I have too many irons in the fire as it is!

Ted Miles

Post by Ted Miles » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Perhaps I am mis-reading you; But I believe another Porter-Bell exists in Michigan.

She is the Cody & Moore Lumber #1 Built by Porter-Bell as their C/N #323 in 12-1878.

She is listed in J David Conrad page 111.

She was a park display from 1933- 1965. I have several post cards of her in my collection.

Ted Miles
Last edited by Ted Miles on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Ted Miles wrote:Perhaps I am mis-reading you; But I believe another Porter-Bellenists in Michigan.

She is the Cody & Moore Lumber #1 Built by Porter-Bell as their C/N #323 in 12-1878.

She is listed in J David Conrad page 111.

She was a park display from 1933- 1965. I have several post cards of her in my collection.

Ted Miles
Ted, in the context of the thread...you are correct. But my original question (posted elsewhere) was with regard to the Type-Cs...

Our friend David Fletcher put together a fine article and construction class on them...here:
http://4largescale.com/fletch/d14b.htm

I'd love to see two things happen:
1) a nice cosmetic restoration of the survivor
2) Bachmann (or such) to offer it in On30 so I can convert several to On3. If they don't, I'll just get around to building them from scratch.

Michael

CraigH

Post by CraigH » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:06 am

Michael,

You know, scratch building one of those would be a LOT of fun.

Here's a thought, We've got the Grandt Line Catalog http://www.grandtline.com/...There could very well be a number of critical parts needed like cylinders, drivers, and other assemblies already available in the On3/30 loco kits. That would be a great place to start. PSC could very well have a bunch of filler items that would be suitable as well.

Using David's Masterclass as a model to emulate for built up assemblies, the prospect of building one could actually be relatively simple.

Years ago I did one of the Grandt Line 0-4-0 Porters. Also in an older Gazzett, somebody did an article on beefing up the frame, in others, built up brass frames. The soldering operation is actually not that bad. The Grandt Line models have wimpy frames (they're cast to scale dimensions).

This could make for a very interesting O Scale MasterClass or Builder's Log! We can easily help with the on-line support that will be needed.

Craig Hoefer
Craig Hoefer

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Here are a few shots of NCNG 4, former Santa Cruz & Felton "Santa Cruz".

The first photo shows #4 after the second shop fire, this is an interesting shot because the locomotive is cabless so you can make out the backhead detail on the locomotive. The last two show the locomotive remains post scrapping. I have no idea when the remains were finally scrapped, it is a shame they aren't hiding up at the yard site somewhere.

Enjoy!

A side note: NCNG #5 was the first locomotive rebuilt after this same fire (I think), lost its cab yet wasn't majorly damaged. The shop forces worked to restore her to service without a cab and for a brief period of time #5 was operated cab-less with a simple hand rail in its place to keep the crews from falling off. Wouldn't that have been a sight!
Attachments
49loco.jpg
48loco.jpg
47loco.jpg

CraigH

Post by CraigH » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:47 am

Does anyone have specifications on this loco? Critical Dimensions for components like Cylinders, Drivers, Boiler Dia., etc.? Tentatively, I was just snooping the web site, there just may be a LOT of the critical items in the Grandt Catalog ready to go.

Looking at the boiler, the only headache appears to be the slope for the wagon top...and that's readily surmountable.
I don't have a clue yet on the smokebox front.

IF we can get enough info, I'll be happy to draft it up in AutoCAD. At least the critical parts, and in such a way they could be Laser cut if needed or, for templates to cut styrene or brass. The parts could be designed around "off the shelf" Evergreen Styrene dimensions, the frame could be designed around Evergreen or Special Shapes Brass shapes to ease construction (and soft soldered together). Either way, something just about anyone could do.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:02 pm

As I recall, the biggest challenger...always the biggest challenge...is finding adequate drivers. As I recall, the closest are actually from Bachmann's Mt. Gretna 4-4-0. I've regauged a couple of their locomotives to On3.

Craig, I know just the article you are referring to. The guy had around 20 Grandt Line porters at the time of that article. I really like the scale frame dimensions. I'd be more likely to send it to the backshop for beefing up than to add brass.

Here's a photo of an On3 2-8-0 that I've been slowly working on:

I haven't yet decided if the styrene frame is rigid enough for my taste. It's been on a back burner for months...