Looking for info on a Porter-Bell Loco

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Andrew Brandon

Re: Looking for info on a Porter-Bell Loco

Post by Andrew Brandon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Michael,

Where did you acquire your drivers for the project? I am going to be converting a Bachman C&S 2-6-0 into a pseudo- Baldwin 8-16D (Nevada County Narrow Gauge 2) and I need to get my hands on a set of "C-16" drivers for the project.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

CraigH

Post by CraigH » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Michael,

Here's a question:

Would that styrene frame be strong enough once the boiler's attached? That may help strength a lot.
Using the Backshop is a great idea, use the styrene master to burn a mold for brass.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 pm

The drivers were from Broadway limited. She's going to be the first of many Cooke 2-8-0s...3-4 per 15 car coal train over Alpine Pass. Accordingly, I used a jig to assemble the frame. It was also quite satisfying to assemble a cylinder block entirely from scratch. For plans, I'm using a 1/8th scale erection drawing from the John Maxwell Collection.

I also have a 1:20.3 Ute (1871 D&RG 2-4-0) under construction, but it is for my son. I won't allow myself to start another locomotive scratch building project until both are completed. There are plenty of good targets at that point. One of my favorite options is to take the wheels from a pair of B-man 2-6-0s and build NCNG #9 and either one of the 41" drivered C&C 4-4-0s or a D&RG 2-4-0. I'll have to see if the motors/gears can be salvaged from such an operation. The C&C 4-4-0 might just win out since the drivers are closer...plus I'd prefer to wait to build a D&RG Ouray 2-6-0 rather than another 2-4-0.

The Back Shop looks like it has much potential for scratch building. I hate beating my head up against brass when I could do it in styrene in seconds. Perhaps, for the drivers, 3D printing coupled with rubber molds for either white metal or lost wax casting will be a technology to explore in the future. But first, I have to get a Lathe and try turning some of Grandt Line's Driver Centers into use able parts. http://grandtline.com/model_railroad/de ... wheels.htm

Yep, Craig...that is the question! Styrene is much stronger than most people realize, but I don't know how it will perform with a couple pounds or so of weight resting on it. Perhaps I'll just have try it out and reinforce/call the back shop if I run into problems.

Michael

Randy Hees

Post by Randy Hees » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:33 am

I believe there is a copy of the specification sheet reproduced in Bruce's Birth book... of course I am traveling and the book is not in hand...

The photo of the loco sans cab gives a surprising amount of modeler's information.

Randy Hees
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

David Fletcher

Post by David Fletcher » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:50 pm

The other Porter Bell survivor is the 2-4-0, not unlike the engine on the BRB&L, a pretty typical type B
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... isplay=659

Other that the drawings and info in Bruce's book, I've not seen any original drawings of the type C. However I do have a Porter Tender drawing (8 wheel type) which I used on the Martha's 0-6-0 model.
I too would love to see the 0-6-0 restored to something with all the Porter Bell flare.

David.
Attachments
PorterTender4.jpg
PorterTender3.jpg
PorterTender2.jpg
PorterTender1.jpg

David Fletcher

Post by David Fletcher » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Oh I forgot to mention, the tender drawing is specific to an 1878 2-4-0, class B, however very similar to those used on the Type C.
The 2-4-0 was Const No. 323, 12/1878, built for the Port Huron & Northwestern Rwy #1 'D.B. Harrington'.
This is the 2-4-0 that is preserved today noted above.

David.