Baldwin Specification sheets

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
David Fletcher

Re: Baldwin Specification sheets

Post by David Fletcher » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:16 am

Further to the uploading of all the Baldwin specification books at DeGolyer, they have also scanned and made available the William Halsey water colour drawings of the locomotives 1860s-1870s. These are an extraordinary set of drawings painted at the time, and sometimes 10-15 years after and are a good view ofthe colours of some of the eastern locomotives, both as-built and in later paint styles. The drawing set was discovered reasonably recently during an antique TV show, like Antique road show or such, can recall, but what a find. Especially useful as a peep into what builders other than Baldwin were doing in the 1860s and 70s re liveries.

The link to the drawings is here:

http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm4/ ... OSTART=1,1

Enjoy!
David.

elminero67

Post by elminero67 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for sharing this info-I've dealt with the DeGoyler Library a few times, and they have always been helpful. Is anyone else having trouble finding the locomotives they are looking for?

James

Post by James » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:59 am

'Is anyone else having trouble finding the locomotives they are looking for?'

Not in general. However, a few specific pages seem to have been accidentally skipped (understandable given the sheer amount of material) or were missing from the source, such as the page for Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming #3 (an 8-20D of slightly different pattern than the Tahoe and Glenbrook).

With respect to the paintings linked by Mr. Fletcher: I almost feel like posting that link on every modeling site on the internet, just so people might stop painting their model boiler jackets robin egg blue. The paintings make the russian iron boiler jackets look similar to brushed aluminum.

Can't say I ever cared for vermilion wheels, but it was the industry standard for a good number of years.

Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:09 pm

elminero67 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble finding the locomotives they are looking for?
Kinda...

There are misspellings in the index file, the page numbers can't be read in some of the books, some pages are missing (e.g. South Pacific Coast #13).

Make sure you have the correct name for the railroad at the time of purchase. When Colusa & Lake Railroad #2 was purchased the railroad was officially titled Colusa Railroad, so that's what's on the heading of the order, even though the tender was marked "C&LRR".

Many engines that went to Hawaii, and other overseas destinations, were purchased through brokers and hence the engines are listing under their corporate names.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut

elminero67

Post by elminero67 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I was hoping someone else was having trouble so that I wouldnt feel dumb...I can find the locomotives I'm looking for in the index, but when I go to that page it is not there. I did find one ( Moctezuma Copper #4) but it was about 12 pages from where it should have been. The data sheets on the Cananea narrow gauge locos are listed in the index (book 24/147 if Im reading it correctly) but I can't find them. Any ideas?

r3feetr

Post by r3feetr » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:33 pm

The page number is printed on the upper left or right corner of each specification page. It is usually different than the PDF page number.

John Hall

elminero67

Post by elminero67 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks!

James

Post by James » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 pm

I'll add an addenum:

In some books (such as books 14 and 15), the margins are so dark that it's very difficult to read the page number. Is there a solution to this problem? I've been manually counting, but that's a slow process prone to failure if I have a momentary lapse of attention.