SP #12 question

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
John Coker

SP #12 question

Post by John Coker » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Might be a good one for Brian Norden. In later years the car was suppposedly an extra caboose. It looks like it was only used to carry railfans. There are a few photos of it doubled up with caboose #401. Any observations or information ?

Brian Norden

Re: SP #12 question

Post by Brian Norden » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 pm

I was traveling the other weekend and missed this question.

I believe I've seen a photo or two of the #12 alone at the end of a train. But undoubtedly, the crew would rather use the #401, as it had more windows and better seating, if it was available. The SP probably kept #12 as a just-in-case spare.

#12 would have been used when the #401 was getting its new roof. Mac Gaddis who was once roundhouse or shop foreman at Bakersfield (and later ended up in Mechanical Dept administration) told me that the #401's new roof was done by the shopmen from the LA General Shop and all that they knew about was the sg wooden caboose roofs.

I don't know what caused the #400 to be retired. Maybe it was just worn out. It had been used as a caboose since the twenties. The #401 had spent quite a bit of time just setting around when it was assigned to the derrick relief train.
Brian Norden

Daniel Maxwell

Post by Daniel Maxwell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Mr. Coker and Mr. Norden,

In the SPNG video put out by Sunday River, I believe the final segment on the video from either 1958 or 1959 (9 has the red numberplate, no stack ring, and the visor-less headlight) shows #9 using #12 alone as her caboose.

John Coker

Post by John Coker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:39 am

Thank you , Brian and Dan. The car had hardly anything in there, except a table, chair and stove.

From photos it looks like #400 had its frame or l ends going bad, usually a death sentence for rolling stock.