SPNG #18 update

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Randy

SPNG #18 update

Post by Randy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 pm

For those interested here is a rundown of what happened on the Oct. 2-3 work weekend at Dehy park in Independence on #18.

- A gate was constructed in the rear of the park enclosure to allow the tender to be taken out.
- Tender was disconnected from locomotive
- All remaining "jewelry" was removed and stored for safekeeping
- Locomotive was readied for tube removal
- Final pieces of plumbing around boiler shell were cleared for UT testing
- Cab floor and tender deck were measured for new wood (and removed in the case of cab floor)
- Cab was completely unbolted from loco for removal.
- 30 feet of additional trackage was added at Easter Cal museum for tender.
- SPNG historical society perlite boxcar #73 had its roof winterized

Those were the big ticket projects that were handled by about 20 volunteers from around the west.
The next work day will be Nov. 20th to remove tubes and continue work on tender.

In addition to the work, a wonderful tri-tip BBQ and raffle were hosted in the park and raised about $3000 dollars. We also received a $20,000 donation from a local individual who wishes to remain anonymous. All in all a great weekend for work and fund raising. For those that are not members, you can join for $20.00 annually and receive our newsletter and email updates. The website is carsoncolorado.com and everyone's support is appreciated.

elminero67

Re: SPNG #18 update

Post by elminero67 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:21 am

A very ambitious and worthy project-I am really looking forward to the next time I have an excuse to go through the Owens Valley and see how the project is going. btw, i noticed that on the "Roster" portion of the C&C website that Diesel #1 was listed as "reportedly in Mexico." She is still intact and in relatively good shape, although I dont believe she has moved since the late 1990's when the smelter shut down. I had posted a couple of pictures of her taken this year on the Pacific Narrow Gauge Site-Latin America-visiting an Old Friend" thread: Feel free to use them on the Carson & Colorado Site if you like. Thanks, and keep up the good work! Duane Ericson

link:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=237

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:34 am

Randy,

Thanks for sharing the latest news. The 20k donation sounds like it will be a huge help with all that is going on down there. Sounds like I'll need to join the group in the future.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

Randy

Post by Randy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Here is update number 2 of work on the #18.

Saturday Nov 20th brought major change to the 18 as the tender was moved out of the park and to the museum. The cab was also removed and sent to Olancha for rebuilding. In addition, about 40% of the tubes were cut out and it would have been all if not for the snow and cold. The locomotive was also moved back about 6 feet to make work easier up front and it actually rolled on its own with one little tug.
Pictures of all this fun are on the website at carsoncolorado.com and the SPNG yahoo group site.
The next work date will be announced soon and will be in the early spring/late winter 2011. Upcoming work will focus heavily on the tender and beginning the FRA form 4 work.
As always your help and membership is greatly appreciated.

Randy