PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

V&T wooden ore cars

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Re: V&T wooden ore cars

Postby Solomani » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Andrew,

I have not been able to do much in quite a while on these cars. I did do some work (finally) on the Truckee bridges.

Thank you for posting these. I wish other Manufacturers were as proud of their rocker cars as Jackson and Sharp as I then might be able to find the V&T type! I still have hope that there is a photo out there somewhere...

-John
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Andrew,

snooping around on the Delaware site above I came across this:

Jackson and sharp dump car blow up past together 3-4-0291.jpg

It is the rocker type but it does have a similarity to the V&T/C&C cars in the center beam that runs through the rocker. No idea of course if this is what was used but it does make me wonder.

Thanks again for the link,

-John
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Ever hopeful for some additional information I came across Hart #67 looking at Alta from the south. Very hard to tell from the angle but it looks like they were using 4 wheel dump cars similar to those later used on the V&T. I don't believe they are the same as the door swing posts appear much taller.

Best regards,
John
Attachments
hart 67 central pacific construction train.JPG
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Fri May 27, 2016 6:18 am

Starting to work on the ore cars again and started wondering about the practice for using lag bolts on railroad cars. Looking at the side sills in the photos it looks like they have lag bolts screwed through the side sills and into the ends of the cross beams for the two beams at the ends of the cars. I have not run across any photos or drawings detailing the practice have any of you?
Solomani

Postby David Johnson » Fri May 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Perhaps instead of lag screws, they are draw bolts, with the nuts in a pocket mortise in the cross member. The use of draw bolts of various styles was used often in narrow gauge wood car construction.
Dave
David Johnson

Postby Solomani » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:06 am

I think you may be right (will we ever know?). I have used draw bolts in other locations on my ore car design and I think I will do the same here.

-John
Solomani

Previous

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock