PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

V&T wooden ore cars

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Re: V&T wooden ore cars

Postby MAC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:14 pm

Like Randy said, Charlie is the expert on the ore cars.
Stephen Drew notes that there were two sets of the side dumps sold to the C&C, 10 cars in March 1882, and 5 more in Dec 1882. Most of these were sold in 1899 to the Pacific Coast Borax Company, Alameda, CA.

For the Iron dumps, 12 were narrow gauged in Mar 1900 and sold to the Inyo Development Co., Nos. 14, 32, 44, 61, 65, 66, 69, 72, 80, 84, 89 & 91. In Sept 1905, four more were sold to the Inyo Development Co., Nos. 6, 36, 78 & 86. Four were sold to Richard Kirman & Judge Mack for the Nevada Railroad Co. along with the five 8 wheel wooden ore dumps, all standard gauge.

The V&T also had six 8 wheel combination ore cars. At one time we thought these became the five 8 wheel wooden ore dumps, but newspaper and letters from Yerington indicate that the wooden dumps were built in the Carson City shops.

From my records and Stephen Drew's none of the iron dumps went to the Eureka Mill Railroad.

Mike
MAC

Postby Brian Norden » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

The Inyo Development Co. was one of the many enterprises owned and operated by Yerington and associates from the V&T office in Carson City. Among the Inyo Development Company documents in the Special Collections of the UNR Library there are some interesting letter copies. One is a letter from H. M. Yerington to the Southern Pacific asking for free transport of the dump cars to Keeler -- after all, the V&T was going to provide free transport to Mound House. No information if the SP allowed any reduced rate.

Brian Norden
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Solomani » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi all,

I have not had much time to be on line the last couple of weeks since work life has intruded into my hobby life.

Thank you for continuing to post info on the C&C. I am learning quite a bit!

I did get a moment to do a sketchup of the Candelaria trestle a few weeks ago and here is a pic.

Not that I am an expert at trestles but I seem to remember most of the trestle bents built in tiers whereas for this trestle it looks like they were just extending the poles with a "scab" bolted on to extend it. Also, it seems it might have been preassembled or a kit.

Anyone know for sure?

-John
Attachments
Candelaria trestle with picture of train.jpg
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Mac,

Is there any further record of the wooden ore cars after they were sold to the Pacific Coast Borax Company?

-John
Solomani

Postby MAC » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:45 am

No record on what happen to the cars after being sold to the Pacific Coast Borax Co. It would be nice to find a photo of them at PCB.

I see you were in Washoe Valley checking out the trestles. I would think the C&C trestle is like the V&T trestles.
MAC
MAC

Postby Solomani » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Mac,

I agree that they are probably the same for the originals. Seems that ,for one of the bents that I think might be original, they were constructed with timberframe style mortice and tennon with wooden pins. Other areas seem to be later additions to include creosoted "telephone Poles." Of course the other issue is that the Washoe valley trestles are not very tall and only require one bent for height.

-John
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I was looking through Trains and Technology volume II: Cars and found a copy of this photograph. It shows models made by a fellow by the name of Waterman Brown. Mr. Brown built the models about 1890 or so and he was a signalman on the Boston and Maine Railroad. He was also a historian on the subject of the Boston and Lowell Railroad and these cars are models of the cars used in the construction of that railroad. I just happened to have my loop in hand because I was looking at some other details in the book and put it on the tip car and was struck by the beam sticking out the right hand side of the car in the photo. it looked very similar to that in the photo of the C&C 4 wheel tip cars and also that of the photo of the 8 wheel tip cars. still not enough detail to figure out the whole tip mechanism but I think this might be the most likely design. The design of the model clearly shows a beam that runs down the center for the length of the car. The shape on the end is very similar and it would answer why we cannot see through the C&C cars under the tip bed.

Thoughts?

- John
Attachments
tip beams closeup.jpg
Close up of the tip car beams.
the Bostonian waterman brown dump car model for the Boston and Lowell railroad.jpg
Boston and Lowell models
Solomani

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:51 pm

John,

I mentioned this photo when we spoke last month, sorry for the delay in digging it up.
This image shows a similar car in use during the 1860s in San Francisco.

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/tf3f59n9xw/?brand=oac4

I have a tiny update to info about the trucks for the C&C 100-109 cars, Herman Darr informed me that beyond being referred to as the "Bliss" truck, they were built by Russell.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby amdaylight » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:15 am

Greetings,

I was under the impression that the ore cars were made of iron like the one shown below or were there two different classes of them. I suspect that the one with the number 101 is a better example of the cars.

ore car.jpg

orecar-pre1.jpg

Andre
amdaylight

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 am

Andre,

The V&T had several types of ore cars actually. The first of these cars were the wooden cars this thread is about, all 15 of the cars were converted to narrow gauge for use on the C&C. The iron cars were the "upgrade" from the wooden cars, the V&T rostered over 100 of them I believe. There were 2 other types of ore cars beyond these: the combination ore cars which were 24' flats with fold up sides that could be used as an ore bin and a small group of 8 wheeled wooden cars. The combination cars were not as successful as hoped and were rebuilt into simple flats. Cars in the 8 wheeled wooden group seemed to last longer as there is a photo of one of them in Farrell's V&T book.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

PreviousNext

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock