PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

V&T wooden ore cars

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Re: V&T wooden ore cars

Postby Solomani » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:20 pm

It has been awhile since I have done much on the car but I found a few days recently where I could work up some new drawings in the new cad program. While sketchup is great (and free), it is not parametric and so rework gets pretty tedious. Alibre took me awhile to learn but I find it much better in most respects for mechanical drawings like for this car.

Here are two of my latest.

John
Attachments
Ore bin in Alibre November 2010.jpg
Ore Bin Frame.jpg
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I am looking for dimensions for narrow gauge axles. I found the Master Car Builders dimensions for a standard gauge axle (See attached) and if I scale it, then it does start to look about right. Has anyone seen anything similar to the MCB standards for narrow gauge? Anyone know where I might start looking for machining dimensions for axles, journal boxes and such for narrow gauge use?

The lower jpg shows the pedestals, journal boxes and frame. Positions for the frame are not done yet as they depend on the axle width and bearing placement.

-John
Attachments
MCB standard Axle.jpg
Frame pedestels and journal boxes.jpg
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:10 pm

I took a trip out to Candelaria a few months back and just now loading them off the camera. thought folks might be interested in the scene with the cars on the trestle and what it looks like today. The rock work is in place and quite a bit of wood debris remains. We drove most of the way but the larger ravine (the one in the 1882 photo) would take some rough offroading to get around so we just walked to the second trestle.

I tried to take the photo from as close as I could figure from where the original photographer stood.

-John
Attachments
100_1560 cropped.jpg
DSC00074.JPG
DSC00001.JPG
Solomani

Postby Brian Norden » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

A couple -- or so -- comments about the trestles.

The C&C arrived in Candelaria in March of 1882. A few months before H. M. Yerington wrote to D. O. Mills that the erection of the trestles was going slowly because the weather was so cold that the carpenters were having a hard time doing the work.

On the western side of Montgomery there are several curved fills. Yerington wrote to Mills that they were putting in the fills because they were probably going to cheaper in the long run and much safer on the high curves than trestles.

One story about the the Candelaria trestles is that in the final years the train would stop; one of the engine crew would walk ahead across the trestles; the other would get the train in motion (going slow) and then drop off before the trestle, when the engine got to the other side the other crew member would swing onboard and bring it to a safe stop; the rest of the crew would then walk across.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Previously I posted that illustration of a similar standard gauge dump car. As an interesting footnote, I found the photograph which seems to have been the basis of the illustration.

http://cdm15323.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15323coll6&CISOPTR=1606&DMSCALE=12.5&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMMODE=viewer&DMFULL=0&DMX=66&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMTHUMB=1&REC=15&DMROTATE=0&x=262&y=311
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Solomani » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Andrew,

A truly wondrous find! I really appreciate you posting this as this and the other cars at the Delaware website show great detail on the assembly techniques of the era.

I have been distracted from working on the V&T cars for a month or so now but hope to get back to them soon.

-John
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Andrews post got me to thinking about the problem I was working on when I left off. There is very little detail on how the center beams and coupler attachment works but I can see beams that appear to be on the centerline. I cant figure out what they might be for other than as a stiffener or to keep the rockers in place. The blocks on the end I doubt are solid, the way I have them modeled here,as are likely constructed of board/timbers, but except for keeping the rocker in position they don't make much sense. Why the draw timber would be set to reduce the strength of the end sill doesn't make sense either but the height of the couplers in the photos indicates that is just what occurs.

Anyone that would like to comment or offer advise is most welcome to.
Attachments
Frame with Iron Parts and wheels 2.jpg
C&C ore car number 13 (2).jpg
Frame with Iron Parts and wheels.jpg
Solomani

Postby Solomani » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone recognizes this photo and if they might know where I could find a better copy...? These cars appear very similar to the V&T cars.

-John
Attachments
Piedmont shops B&O railroad.jpg
Solomani

Postby Brian Norden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Do you know which book the photo was published in? If you have or can find a copy the may be some additional information in the acknowledgment page or some indication what the source initials mean.

The caption itself has at least one misspelling/typo -- the location is probably Piedmont, West Virginia, which was on the B&O.

The source line under the photo (B&O Railroad, MARS) is confusing. I'm coming up blank regarding what "MARS" might mean. Now if it was "NARA" that would stand for National Archives and Records Administration.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Solomani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi Brian,

I will have to check. I have seen it in two books. One of them is the trains and technology series. the one in here I found in a generic picture book about railroads that I happened to have stumbled across.

-John
Solomani

PreviousNext

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock