[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
PacificNG.Org • View topic - Baldwin paint research
 PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Baldwin paint research

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Re: Baldwin paint research

Postby Randolph Ruiz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Attachments
CV4 revised.jpg
Clover Valley 4 Builder's Photo
Randolph Ruiz

Postby James » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

James

Postby Brian Norden » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Solomani » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Randy, Andrew (or anyone that knows),

How would I go about going to a paint store and picking up "a gallon" of Baldwin Lake paint? What is/are the reference numbers that I would give?

We went to see the Glenbrook on the 4th (hoping she was running) and my wife likes the color of the Glenbrook tender. I am happy to indulge her with painting something a color as close to that color and sheen as I can. I am looking at some interior trim on the Virginia City house as a possible target for painting.

Best regards,
John
Solomani

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 am

I believe that Glenbrook is "wine"... Sonoma is "lake"

The paint for Glenbrook was matched into automotive paint.

Lake was a way to make pigment, not a color. It was mostly a combination of organic and metallic components... for example sandal wood with zinc, but Carmine a bug based paint is considered a lake color. Many of the lakes were somewhat translucent, so were treated as glazes applied over a base or "ground" color.

Just to make the discussion more complicated... the chemical tests for the wine found on Glenbrook did not contain any exotic pigments... just iron oxides and maybe lamp black... the wine was really just rich dark brown, without elements of a glaze. Jim Wilke believes that Baldwin Lake was really varnished brown... I am not sure I agree, but don't disagree either... In either case this makes developing a match with modern materials easier.

For a house, I would probably look at the historic colors from Benjamin Moore. They have some of the more intense colors used by Victorians... (some of the other brands get grey when too much pigment is used) use semi gloss... the gloss does change the perception of color.
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Solomani » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks Randy,

Benjamin Moore "Wenge" seems close. I had the App from Benjamin Moore on my phone on the 4th but it gives a number of selections depending on where in the photo you do the sample.

I had read last night that "lake" comes not from any reference to a body of water but rather to the word "lac" for "...the scarlet resinous secretion of a number of species of insects...". The differences between "wine" and "lake" baffle me which leads me to:

Is the current paint job on the Glenbrook supposed to be wine? I had thought wine was had more shades of red to it than "lake". The current Glenbrook paint looks much more brown than red.

In any case it does seem to be a varnished brown with hints of red is what I am going for. Was hoping to find "Glenbrook Brown (or red!)" at the paint store :)

thanks,
John
Solomani

Postby Thor Windbergs » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Our Graphic Artist rendition of Baldwin Painting Style 285 Ivy green and gold as colorized on a B&W Builders photo. David Fletcher was consulted.

We finally hope to get this book published by a contact in California after finding the topic about one little baldwin export engine too narrow for audiences in Australia, England and Germany...
!CoverBookNo.17.JPG
Thor Windbergs
Tamm, Germany

www.thorsteamworld.com
Facebook: Thor Windbergs
Volunteer G&L RR 86-88
Fireman/Engine Watchman D&S 90-94
Member Frankfurter Feldbahn Muesem,
Member IFPPC (Society for Preservation of Perus Pirapora Railroad)
Thor Windbergs

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Thor,

That is a beautiful rendition and I look forward to seeing the book when it is out. I suspect it will make a useful reference for small Baldwin locomotives in general.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:59 pm

John,

I have an answer to your observation about the Glenbrook. It IS the wrong shade....
When the color was matched and ordered, it was apparently done under the shop lights. As a result indoor lighting looks more accurate, but when you take it outside it becomes just "brown". It is too late now to fix it, but I am working on a color card for the primary Baldwin colors to put here on the site. In the meantime, areas of PacificNG that have the latest version of the site styling are now a more correct "Wine" shade. The previous lighter color is more akin to a "Claret" than Baldwin's "Wine."
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Solomani » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks Andrew,

Just recently I had learned about that mistake from a wandering paint expert that was drifting down C Street in Virginia City. He claimed, as you say, that it was fine indoors but not outside. I now have a sample of the current paint used to paint the Glenbrook matched and now have my "gallon." Still need to use it though! I am not quite as particular as the "reverse graffiti artists" that haunt these parts so even under my indoor lighting I think I will be happy to say "just like the Glennbrook!" when I finally do paint something.

-John
Solomani

PreviousNext

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock