Locomotive Crane

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Jeff Livingston

Locomotive Crane

Post by Jeff Livingston » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:45 am

Based on the appearence of the crane in this photograph does anyone have an idea of who manufactured the crane?
008.JPG
Based on other information available I believe this to be a contractors crane and not one belonging to the Navy at Pearl Harbor. Photo is from the 14th Naval District Collection, WW2 Valor in the Pacific National Monument.

Jeff Livingston

Randy Hees

Re: Locomotive Crane

Post by Randy Hees » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 am

I don't have info on the builder, but note that it is a crane, not a shovel, and cranes were common in harbor areas to unload ships. I suspect most of this class were not owned by railroads, instead, were owned by industries or ports. This of course makes finding information much more difficult.

It appears to have a paneled cab. That might be a clue.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Jeff Livingston

Post by Jeff Livingston » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:10 pm

It is indeed a crane and witha rather unusual grab bucket. At least to me. It appears round vice a clamshell as seen in this second photo.
PHOG_NO 2114.jpg
The notation "yard labor" usually means government personnel doing the work but there is no record of the Navy having such a crane at Pearl Harbor. Both photographs were taken adjacent to dry dock No. 1. The prime contractor for the dry dock construction was the San Francisco Bridge Co. with major assistence from Hawaiian Dredging.

Jeff Livingston

Jeff Livingston

Post by Jeff Livingston » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 pm

And the answer is - American Locomotive Crane, Navy contract Noy 2127,construction number 748 or 749, Navy Yard No. 9 or 10. Located two additional photos in the 14th Naval District Collection today dated August 1915 which solved the mystery. One photo showed one of the cranes being assembled and the other the completed crane.

Jeff Livingston

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Looks like she's working with Gregg military flat cars in both photos. Neat little crane.