Locomotive suspension systems

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Curtis_F

Re: Locomotive suspension systems

Post by Curtis_F » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 am

John Coker wrote:Alco used a trailer design that mainly supported the frame directly by means of a plate on the truck sliding on a plate on the frame. SV 2-8-2 s, K-28s and K-37s all had this crude but effective design. It accounted for a smooth ride. Slather on the gear lube, though.
John,

Thank you for the first hand knowledge! I find it interesting that the slide plate design gave the smoother ride. All of the K classes have the trailing trucks equalized to the drivers so the difference is in the motion and loose fits of the swing links. I'm going to have to give that some thought.

Cheers,

Curtis F.

-----

One more bit about Delta trailing trucks:
Commonwealth_Delta_Trailing_Truck.jpg
From the 1919 Locomotive Cyclopedia - Avaliable for free from Google Books
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut

Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 am

Here's an over simplified reference guide to the development of "Swing Motion" in Engine Trucks:
Swing_Motion_Types.jpg
Cheers,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut

John Coker

Post by John Coker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:29 pm

The K-36s and 37s had a heart block between a bed on the top of the pony truck and the Bissel post.(the Bissel bobs up and down on the pilot deck, and has a notch for the "sword hanger" a transverse equalizer to #1 drivers) When these blocks would wear out , they would "lay down" on one side in curves, scaring the snot out of the engineers,when it flopped down. 480 was terrible at that but that is the most beat-up and worn out of that class, and i have been on 9 of the 10.