Hammond passenger car trucks?

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Curtis_F

Hammond passenger car trucks?

Post by Curtis_F » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 pm

The Colusa and Lake Railroad had a few passenger coached built for them by the Hammond Car Co., did Hammond also build their own trucks or would they have been bought from another manufacturer?

If from another manufacturer, then who?
If built themselves, do any examples survive or drawings exist?

Looking at photographs the trucks look like the type built in the Southern Pacific shops.

Thank you for your time,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut

Randy Hees

Re: Hammond passenger car trucks?

Post by Randy Hees » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Hammond built their own trucks, and built replacement trucks for cars built by others (specifically for the LA&R, thanks to Brian Norden's research)

In general, Hammond trucks, both freight and passenger are similar to Carter trucks. Their standard passenger trucks were wood framed with cast pedestals...

Their freight trucks look like Carters, but seem to have taller transom beams, so have a higher arch. Internally, we associate Carter trucks with a "u" shaped swing hanger, with a top swing pivot, but Hammond with two side plates, with separate top and bottom swing pivots.

Hammond likely had a special truck for passenger cars in steam dummy service... (I suspect the Carter Brothers did too) If so it is a hybrid of a passenger truck for steam and a streetcar truck.

There are a set in Alaska, in a swamp... I am not sure if any other Hammond trucks survive....

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Brian Norden

Re: Hammond passenger car trucks?

Post by Brian Norden » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Randy Hees wrote:Hammond built their own trucks, and built replacement trucks for cars built by others (specifically for the LA&R, thanks to Brian Norden's research)
There are two possibilities why the LA&R (probably just Redondo RR at the time) was buying trucks from Hammond. One is that they were to be replacement trucks; the other is for cars that the company was building in its own shops. Without looking at my notes, I recall that the company was buying window sash and doors from an outside supplier at this general time.
Randy Hees wrote:There are a set in Alaska, in a swamp... I am not sure if any other Hammond trucks survive....
There was a pair outside of Dawson, Yukon Territory, Canada. This pair and a pair from another builder were the remains of two passenger cars that burned after languishing for years.
Brian Norden