Yellow Pine Mining Shays

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Randy Hees

Yellow Pine Mining Shays

Post by Randy Hees » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm

I am puzzling out a mystery concerning the Yellow Pine Mining company railroad and its two shay locomotives… (I blame Andrew for this, he visited last week, has mapped the railroad, and started this…)

The railroad ran from Jean Nevada (SW of Las Vegas) to the town of Goodsprings and beyond to the Yellow Pine mine. It is basically a mining tramway… with two shays purchased new, and 12 or so ore cars. They also used at least 3 gasoline locomotives over the years…

The two shays are nearly identical 36’ gauge, 2 truck, 2 cylinder, about 22 tons. The first is Lima c/n 2500, built in January 1912, the second 2793, built in July 1916. Both were wrecked several times.

The Koch Shay book and Shaylocomotives.com generally agree on histories… No 1 (c/n 2500) being reguaged in 1922, wrecked in 1927, and scrapped by 1928, No 2 was used until wrecked in 1927, and scrapped by 1928 as well…

From Shaylocomotive.com

C/N 2500
Norman B. Livermore & Co. (D), San Francisco, CA
Yellow Pine Mining Co. #1, Jean, NV
(11-1914) wrecked at Jean, NV
(10-21-1923) Converted to standard gauge
(5-03-1927) Wrecked at Good Springs,NV
(8-15-1927) Scrapped

C/N 2793
Norman B. Livermore & Co. (D), San Francisco, CA
Yellow Pine Mining Co. #2, Jean, NV
(8-1927 ) Wrecked
(by 9-28-1929) Scrapped

The problem is that if the first locomotive was standard gauged (I assume this is based on spare part orders) why, and where was it used afterwards… the Yellow Pine Mining Co continued as a narrow gauge line… There are photos of one of the locomotives in derelict condition, reportedly in the 1930’s… so the scrap dates are suspect. There are local reports about the wreck of No 1 in 1916, and No 2 being wrecked in 1927…

Looking for ideas and even better more information…
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

dsp&p_fan

Re: Yellow Pine Mining Shays

Post by dsp&p_fan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm

I would expect there to be builder's photos at the Allen County Museum in Lima. Charlie Bates is the curator. I was just up there over the weekend to pay homage to 779 and the 1880s business car.

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue May 06, 2014 3:17 pm

On occasion I buy photographs that are unmarked with the intention of figuring out what they are and preserving them.
The image below has no markings or dates on it, but based on what I've seen of the Yellow Pine shays, this looks an awful lot like one of them.
unknown-shay-sm.jpg
Before I put this image in the gallery and proclaim it Yellow Pine, I wanted to see if anyone recognized it as something else. There are obvious detail differences, notably the brake arrangement and the pilot.

Compare with this view: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/objects/snv/2673
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

Rich Dunn

Post by Rich Dunn » Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 am

Andrew,

I think your photo shows one of the Kelley Island Lime & Transportation Co. Shays, probably taken during the 1937 R&LHS tour of the facility.
Rich Dunn

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Thu May 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Rich,

I found a photo on DPL showing other Kelley Island Lime shays and I agree with you (pilot design is identical). Thank you for helping me clear that up.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

John Coker

Post by John Coker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 am

Kelly Island in Ohio was a huge quarry operation and at one time owned more Shays than any other company. Also owned SG and NG engines.