Austin City Railroad "Mules' Relief" in color

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Randy Hees

Austin City Railroad "Mules' Relief" in color

Post by Randy Hees » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 am

The latest color study, this time for the Austin City Railroad "Mules' Relief"

This one uses the earliest of the standard motor color styles, No 1. Being early it doesn't include a separate tank drawing, instead including information about the tank in the color information, simply, "tank drab"

Other interesting bits found in the specification sheet... nowhere on the sheet does mention the "Austin City Railroad" the locomotive being ordered by Paxton & Curtis... and no railroad name is to be lettered on the locomotive... just the name and number, the number an apparent afterthought, originally "none" was written, then crossed out and 1 added in a different hand.

The locomotive is to have fuel and water capacity for a 7 mile run... and they note that "Alkali water to be used"... To gain water capacity they used a saddle tank... Since it was hidden the boiler jacket is American iron with iron bands, while the steam dome is Russia iron with brass.

There are some notes suggesting they understand something about how it will be used. There are to be doors at both ends of the body... there are two headlights... the drivers have brooms and water jets... There are safety chains on the draw-heads... the locomotive comes with two (re-railing) frogs for 50 lb rail...
Mules relief study.jpg
Mules relief study 2.jpg
Mules relief study p3.jpg
Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

David Fletcher

Re: Austin City Railroad "Mules' Relief" in color

Post by David Fletcher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 am

Hi Randy,
This is great stuff.
I've done some work on the steam dummies for New South Wales in Australia, which were built between 1879 and 1890, to several different designs. Most of them were from 1879 and the early 1880s as 0-4-0s with a few being 0-4-2.
Virtually all of them are also Motor Style #1, Brown and Leather, gold linework.
To date however I'd not see the photo of Motor style 1 from the Style book. Seems in the 70s when so many of the book pages were photographed, they neglected to photograph the motor pages, so its great to see it here.

Ours also note the tank to be Drab. Unlike some of the other Motor styles, where the rear tank is given its own colour card, this reference is to the saddle tank inside being painted Drab. The motor 1 card seems to include the front and rear railings/tank all in the one sheet. One of our motors, painted Motor 1 goes further to state the whole interior is painted drab.

Argyle locomotive works here (a gauge 1 live steam supplier and former builder of live steam models) is building live steam models in parternership with Accucraft, with our first model being the NA class 'Puffing Billy' 2-6-2T due for release in around Sept/Oct. I did all the drawing work etc for that as usual. However we're only doing the 3 standard Victorian Railways liveries for that model not the original Baldwin style 292 sadly, anyway I digress, we're really keen to do a NSW steam motors next year in live steam as there is big interest here. I'll do it all to Motor #1 per the specs, have the erection cards etc for several of these motors. This all on the back of Argyle building one of these motors some years ago (a one-off), which I did all the wood casework and livery on to finish it off. My leather is a little light, but its based on the motor #1 research done on the preserved 1A here in NSW.
Great to finally see the real Motor #1 colour artwork from the style book. Interesting that it doesn't actually show the linework.
Hope to do this one as a commercial job neat year.
Attachments
Baldwin-Tram-1.JPG

Randy Hees

Post by Randy Hees » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi David,

I am glad you are enjoying them. I have copied the entire "Motor" section from the color book, so if there is something you need just ask... (this is an open offer to any of our readers)

Per chance were you the Ausie who looked at the color books a couple of months ago? That person noted that they needed conservation, and happily they are now in the conservation shop... sadly that may take some time...

Motors as a study subject are taking more of my time... I have been looking at Salinas Ry, Alum Rock, and the Portland lines... I am starting to compile a list of Porter Dummies...

This should result is a page on PacificNG...

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

David Fletcher

Post by David Fletcher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:29 am

Hi Randy,
No not me in the library although I wish it was!
Dont know who that was although I've published a lot in local magazines about our liveries and imports over the last few years, and always referenced the library, so it may well be working!
I will contact you about a few more motor cards, I'll go look them up shortly.
Great to have Style 1! Our most used.

Thanks Randy,
David.

David Fletcher

Post by David Fletcher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:41 am

Hi Randy,
Would you mind sending me a direct jpg for Motor Style 1.

also a steam motor used in Bendigo, erection drawings I've ordered scans of some time ago from the Smithsonian.
The Bendigo motor was Motor Style 20 with a rear tank style 84. Carmine & Gold.
I'd like to draw this one up in full colour.

My email is fletchmc@gmail.com

Thanks heaps Randy,
Oh one more thing, did you get any photos of the pages of headlight styles?

David.