PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Randsburg Porter.

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Randsburg Porter.

Postby John Coker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Rburg PoerterII.jpg
Not much to this 0-4-0 but found it in the back of their little museum. The mining company there had quite a few of them.
John Coker

Re: Randsburg Porter.

Postby Brian Norden » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 pm

J. David Conrad in The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America Vol 2 identifies the locomotive as Porter c/n 4468 built 12/1909. 30" gauge
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Randy Hees » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:37 am

Andrew and I have Yellow Aster Mining on our radar... and have the first draft of a write up...

Yellow Aster Mill & Mining Company Railroad

30” gauge
This short railroad was never more than a mining tramway, but is of interest because of the gauge chosen, 30”, and the variety of locomotives used, 3 Porter built steam locomotives, and at least three gasoline locomotives.

The Yellow Aster company controlled most if not all the mines on Rand Mountain, about which a mining expert suggested “Build a mill and shovel in the mountain” The mines in this group included the Rand, the Olympus, the Trilby and the Yellow Aster.

The early success of the Yellow Aster Group lead to the construction of the standard gauge Randsburg Railway, which initially hauled the Yellow Aster ore to Barstow to “Randsburg-Santa Fe Reduction Mill “(Santa Fe railroad owned.) Continued mining success lead the owners to locate a water source, and build a 30 stamp mill at the mine in early 1899, ending the ore shipments, and in part leading to the sale of the Randsburg Railway to the Santa Fe.
By 1901 the Yellow Aster added a new 100 stamp mill to supplement the smaller mill. Photos show horse drawn mining tramways in use early on. In 1908 they purchased a 30” gauge porter locomotive. It must have proved successful, for the following year they purchased two more. By 1930 the Porters are out of use, replaced by internal combustion locomotives.

Rolling Stock notes

Steam Locomotives
No 1, Porter 0-4-0t c/n 4126, May 1908
No 2, Porter 0-4-0t c/n 4467, Dec 1909
No 3, Porter 0-4-0t c/n 4468, Dec 1909 (on display at Randsburg Museum)
Internal Combustion locomotives
15 horse power gasoline locomotive, on hand by 1912
“old made over Cadillac” converted to a locomotive” in use in late 1920’s
Two Plymouth locomotives, purchased c.1930

There are two styles of 30” ore cars shown, V bottom tilt cars, likely the original “3 ton ore cars” and square bodied cars, likely the “larger cars” purchased in 1916. both styles are 4 wheel.

Photos show some dual gauge track for 30” and for narrower mine car gauge.
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Re: Randsburg IC loco.

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

I was looking at some old notes from Dale Darney concerning the Eagle Salt works (off the CP/SP line across Nevada), and found a photo of what is likely the Yellow Aster Mining Companies first IC loco, built by Prouty Locomotive Co... They had previously operated three Porters, and later had a Cadillac based home made engine and two Plymoths (that we know about)
Attachments
Yellow  Aster Prouty Locomotive Darney.jpg
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:43 pm

I wonder if Prouty also built the first loco for Yellow Pine Mining? That could explain why I can't find anything from the usual builder lists.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock