PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Need Help Identifying SPC Coaches

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Need Help Identifying SPC Coaches

Postby r3feetr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 am

I am about to start design on my next Carter Bros. SPC Coach for 3D printing. From photographs I know which coach I want to model however I cannot determine the coach number and therefore determine its date of construction. I model pre SP so the cars need to be in service prior to July 1887. I am using Randy's SPC rolling stock list for dates.

I have attached cropped images below of the coach series I want to model. Has anyone seen the original photos and been able to determine the coach numbers within the ovals?

Thanks for your help,
John Hall
coaches1.png

coaches2.png

coaches3.png
r3feetr

Re: Need Help Identifying SPC Coaches

Postby Randy Hees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi John,

There are two groups of Carter built bull nose roof coaches on the SPC... I believe that your coaches are one of those two groups (or some from each?)

49-61, built by the Carter Brothers in 1883-84, and 74-78, built by the Carter Brothers in 1887 (after the SP lease)

From the 3-29-84, Oakland Tribune, "Newark Items" now building several cars for the S.P.C.R.R. Co. which are a decided improvement on those now in use. They are much wider, and the seats get the benefit, which will give more comfort to passengers. They are also building more logging-cars. They have an order from Kimball Brothers (believed to be Korbel Bros for Northern Redwood, A&MR) for a caboose.

There were also some combines built in the same style, 17, 18, 62, 63, 72, 73.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Re: Need Help Identifying SPC Coaches

Postby r3feetr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Randy,

Thanks very much! I was hoping it was the 49-61 series. My first test print comes back from Shapeways Monday. Here's the design so far:

Coach 60.png
r3feetr

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock