Carter Brothers 10 Ton Boxcar

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Solomani

Carter Brothers 10 Ton Boxcar

Post by Solomani » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:32 pm

My latest project in sketchup is a Carter Brothers boxcar. So far I have the frame and the bolsters. I learned some new and better ways to create the trickier parts, which was satisfying.

I know others on here have a great deal of experience with these cars so critique is welcome. This is supposed to be a 10-ton car.
Carter Brothers Boxcar frame #2.jpg
Frame End Detail
John
Attachments
Carter Brothers Boxcar frame #1.jpg
Frame with Bolster detail
Last edited by Solomani on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solomani

Re: Carter Brothers 10 Ton Boxcar

Post by Solomani » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:44 pm

When creating drawings of timber frames such as this what tolerence should I be using? I have allowed for a 1/16th of an inch for each side for the inset for the bolsters and the needle beams. Same for the holes for the bolster brace rods.

Thanks,
John

Randy Hees

Post by Randy Hees » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Nice work... one correction... the lateral truss rods ride on top of the center sills, and the floor boards are notched to allow clearance...

As for accuracy... When new they were built of planed lumber, so drawing are probably to 1/16"... we find that in real life its closer to 1/4" worse when rebuilding a car with rough lumber... our biggest issue in rebuilding cars is adjusting sizes to match when hitting any iron or steel component... iron and steel are not flexible... so we have to be...

Randy Hees
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks Randy!

Bummer for me on the correction though as it will require a new angle for the bar. That was the tricky part for the bar; the holes in the intermediate sill,the bolster and bolster end iron "washer." It does make more sense for strength though.

-John

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:22 am

Randy,

I made the changes but I had a question. How are the bolster truss rods fed in to the holes? I can see ways (cumbersome) to get through the intermediate sills but once that is done how do you get them through the bolster? The rods might be flexible but the way I have it drawn it would seem they would have to be extraordinarily flexible.

Do the rods actually go through the bolster or do they go to the side?

Thoughts?

-John

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Here is the drawing with the updated bolster and some other details.
Attachments
Carter Brothers Boxcar frame #3.jpg

CraigH

Post by CraigH » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:07 am

John,

Sorry to chime in so late.

Years ago I started doing a study on the 24' box at Ardenwood. Get ready for a drawing revision. As I recall, the Bolster Truss Rods are basically a three piece assembly. Across the top of the inner sills is flat bar stock rebated into the sills. There are holes at each end of the bar stock to fit the rods. The ends of that bar stock also bend downwards. The rods are either hooked or looped (don't recall, will have to locate my photos and scan). They then become effectively strait rod easily fed through to secure the whole structure.

I'll dig, scan, and post later today or this evening.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator

CraigH

Post by CraigH » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:28 am

John,

Just dug up an old CAD drawing I started, never completed. Carter 24' Box Car (Keno at Ardenwood).
Bolster_Truss.jpg
I'll have to locate and dig out photos on the assembly but the image gives you the idea. I don't recall dimensions, but the parts likely filleted on all edges as they were hand forged items.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks Craig,

This makes much more sense from an assembly point of view. The way I had it drawn it would take the strong Muldoon to bend them into place! If you do come across the details on the rod ends I would appreciate it but I will see if I can find an example to copy from the car builder guide in the meantime.

Thanks again,
John

Below is the bolster with Craigs fixes added. I think I need to extend the strap so the rods attach so that the entire attachement and bolt is below the top of the strap.
Attachments
Bolster detail.jpg
Bolster detail

Solomani

Post by Solomani » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Craig,

I just noted that the flat bars were rebated into the center sills. That will change what have drawn. <Sigh>, back to the drawing board.

-John