One more Eureka Nevada locomotive question

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.
Randy Hees

One more Eureka Nevada locomotive question

Post by Randy Hees » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm

From my continuing E&P/EN locomotive research...

Myrick's roster shows that the railroad had 3 used locomotives received from the US Army, Fort Stevens Oregon in 1920. From a Discussion on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum, I understand that these were purchased by John Sexton, not by the railroad...

Myrick lists these as USA No 6, Baldwin 21848, USA No 7 Baldwin 21991 and USA No 8 Baldwin 22002

In Baldwin records these are all 0-4-4t, class 8-11c 1/3 (nos 19, 20, & 21) part of an order for 6 locomotives for the Army, one of the remaining locos is not numbered (I suspect this one was sent to New Jersey) and two more are USA 9 & 10. We have the specification sheet up at http://www.pacificng.com/imglib/main.ph ... ewsIndex=1

I got confused when I checked Porter records for c/n 5637, a 0-4-4t, which Myrick says was Eureka Nevada no 8, purchased new in 1915. Porter records say this locomotive was built for the US Army in 1915, as No 8, for Ft Stevens, and was later EN No 8. The Porter book also says it was named Eureka on the EN...

Does anyone (likely Greg) have any additional information to clear this up?

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Brian Norden

Re: One more Eureka Nevada locomotive question

Post by Brian Norden » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Randy,

At one time DLG and I said that the NT/E-N locomotive roster would dive you to drink, if you were not already drunk enough to consider trying to figure it out.

Years ago I went through the accounting record books from the E&P ? NT Co / E-N at the UN-R Library Special Collections. There were some interesting things about the locomotives of the line. You may find it worthwhile to study these. But, they will create some questions and/or drive you to drink!

It does seem that Sexton may have advanced money for some purchases and then years later the company paid him money. But they may have already paid for some of the engines. It also seems that some of the locomotives that found their way to Palisades were purchases by Sexton and never part of the railroad.

The company at one point wrote off an engine that was left behind in Oregon when the trade with the SV was done. And then there was the month or two that the company paid for locomotive storage to Hofius in Seattle.

Good luck!
Brian Norden

GregMaxwell

Post by GregMaxwell » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 pm

The locomotive roster of the Eureka Nevada Ry is indeed twisted. The three Baldwin 0-4-4Ts: USA #6, #7 and #8 were purchased by JE Sexton in 1920. USA #6 and #7 were owned by the Nevada Transportation Company and transferred to the Eureka Nevada when the NTCo and EN were merged in 1921. USA #8 was not carried on the NTCo's books but was in the EN's engine house when it burned in 1927. USA #6 was stored outside in 1927 and not damaged. It was sold for scrap in 1938 as was the hulk of USA #8. USA #7 was gone by 1927.

Eureka Nevada #8 was a Porter 2-4-4T. EN #8 and 2-6-2 #7 were purchased by JE Sexton but carried on the books of the NTCo. The #7 and #8 were transferred to the EN in 1921 but their ownership remained with Sexton. This caused a real problem for the new owners when the EN was sold in 1925. They could not buy the engines as the ICC had counted them as assets of the EN for four years. To compensate Sexton they had to give him a salary as vice-president for a number of months until he was paid back for the little Porters.

Greg

GregMaxwell

Post by GregMaxwell » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:05 am

Randy,

After looking in my Porter book from the NMRA I see where your confusion comes from. The Lemuth Porter records I have show that c/n 5637 was built for "HK Porter (demo) E. Pittsburg, PA". Interestingly it shows that the engine was built as a 0-4-0 and rebuilt into a 2-4-4T by Porter before being sold to the EN. The Eureka Sentinel reported EN #8 making its trial run on April 8, 1915.

Greg

Randy Hees

Post by Randy Hees » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks Greg...

It appears that the E-N roster is cursed... if the railroad and John Sexton don't confuse us, the NMRA book will (I find the NMRA book is generally accurate... of course the error would involve the E-N...) Brian, I will have to agree with Mr Garcia's comment about the roster and drinking... and I suspect a near term visit to UNR will help and confuse...

Andrew and I are trying to build pages and maps for the various railroads that currently link to "under construction." The E&P page is up... E-N will follow... There are several other railroads with new write ups, with more to come... We have a number of research projects which are now being edited into something that can be posted. Andrew is adding to the image gallery regularly. There will be an update announcement soon... but just look around.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Randy Hees wrote: I suspect a near term visit to UNR will help and confuse...
The Nevada Historical Society, located up the hill, also has some E&P information. I seem to recall a journal book with paid invoices from the late 1890s pasted into it -- there were some related to paint and painting and San Francisco suppliers of railroad supplies.
Randy Hees wrote:... if the railroad and John Sexton don't confuse us,
The San Francisco Call once called John Sexton a "Man of Mystery." And that was before he got involved with the NT/E-N.
Brian Norden