PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

D&RGW ALCO built K-28

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

D&RGW ALCO built K-28

Postby Loco112 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 pm

The news that the C&TS might trade a K-36 for a K-28, has me wondering: Do we have any serious K-28 (or OR&L 60,70,80,90) fans here that collect info for a future model/miniature replica project?

I ask because the C&TS should get a full set of blueprints from the D&S in the trade.

That should make future K-28 modelers very happy because that set has never, and would never be allowed to leave Durango for any other reason. I tried for decades to negotiate a deal to get all the blueprints copied and scanned and out of Durango and into the CRRM without success. K-28 modelers do whatever you can to make sure this happens and the CATS gets that full set, then when it gets to CATS, get your set quickly, you might never get another chance!

Loco112
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Re: D&RGW ALCO built K-28

Postby Brian Norden » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 pm

While not complete plans. the ALCO photo collection has had photographic copies of the general arrangement drawings of the K-28 and the Oahu locomotives. These provide the major dimensions of the configuration; but, not the details of the fabrication, etc.

I think that I purchased these years ago when I acquired other prints. I am not sure if these are currently available.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Loco112 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 am

Coronado scale models, in Phoenix, also sold copies of the K-28 "as built" drawings. 99% of the time, when somone says they have K-28 plans, they have that copy from Coronado.

I would be willing to help locate a set of the full blueprints for someone as long as that person was willing to split the cost for copying and scanning. I know of two partial sets, and the current Colorado locomotive swap should result in the full set getting to the C&TS, but its usual kept quiet. So there is a lot of K-28 in those three spots, but its soo rare everywhere else.

K-28 fans need to speak up or this chance could pass you by.
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Postby Jeff Livingston » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Bishop Museum in Honolulu has what appear to be complete or nearly complete sets of drawings for Oahu Railway and Land Company 2-8-2 Nos. 60/70 and 80/90. They are willing to allow them to be copied. Estimated cost is about $1,000.00. If there is some commitment as well as interest it can be done.

Jeff Livingston
Jeff Livingston

Postby Loco112 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:17 pm

PM sent.
Loco112
Loco112

Postby Loco112 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Everyone interested in blueprints for any of the OR&L (Oahu RY, Hawaii) locomotives and rolling stock should make a donation to the HRS. On the HRS website there is a "donation" link page, and you can specify what you would like your donation to go toward. Maybe Jeff will help us out here, by I am thinking that all us NG blueprint collectors and NG projecteers should make a donation for the "OR&L rolling equipment blueprint scanning project".

I'm donating $50 now and Ill donate more as soon as I can.

I am so thankful for Jeff Livingston's enthusiasm for those old blueprints and that he recognizes the need to get them scanned and available. Lets make sure the HRS doesn't spend any of their own money to complete that project. Everyone donate what you can now and try to donate again later. Its for a great cause: Us, and future modeling !

Any individual would easily spend $2000 plus to have those blueprints scanned, probably more, so lets do what we can to all pay for this incredible opportunity. Send whatever you can soon, you can send more later.

I'll never build an OR&L locomotive, but Ill donate $ 50 so someone else can some day!

Thanks All!
Loco112
Loco112

Postby Loco112 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Any news on the HRS project to scan the ALCO drawings in the Bishop?
Loco112
Loco112

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock