PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Magor Car Company

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Magor Car Company

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:53 pm

We don't have a page up for Magor yet, but it is on the horizon.

I recently picked up a roll of WWI era linen drawings from Magor. Many of these were built for Russia and appear to be trench railway related. A few other drawings feature cane cars for export in Standard Gauge, 36" gauge and 750mm.

Once I find a document scanner locally I will get them scanned for the site.

Beyond cane cars for export, did Magor build any equipment for narrow gauge roads stateside?
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Magor Car Company

Postby rrsteve » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Magor was a major builder of 60 cm gauge trench equipment for the US Army. I have a roll of prints form the Pullman Library of these cars that I need to catalog, but they are sufficient enough to actually build equipment, if desired. These cars were used at various stateside locations, as listed in Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land by Dunn. I believe that Magor was the lead designer of these cars, as all of my drawings from the other mfgr's have a Magor reference in the title block.

Steve
rrsteve

Re: Magor Car Company

Postby rrsteve » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 pm

From Iron Age, Sept 26, 1918

"Orders for the narrow gage cars for France have been allocated as follows: Pressed Steel Car Co., 300 low-side gondolas; Ralston Steel Car Co., 400 of the same type, and the Standard Steel Car Co., 335 of the same type; American Car & Foundry co., 334 tank cars and 300 low-side gondolas; the Haskell & Barker Car Co. and the Magor Car Co., each 500 flat cars; the Lakewood Engineering Co., 387 V dump cars; the Orenstein-Arthur Koppel Co., 300, and the Kilbourne & Jacobs Mfg. Co., 280 of the same type. This makes a total of 1335 low-side gondolas, 334 tank cars, 1000 flat cars and 967 V dump cars."

Steve
rrsteve

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock