PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Consolidating the Baldwin 8-18C Data

Discussion of specific prototype locomotives and other equipment of all gauges.

Re: Consolidating the Baldwin 8-18C Data

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 am

Jesse,

That sounds like a great project, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby jessebanning » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:55 am

Hi all. I need help. I'm building the Eureka and Sonoma in 2.5" scale and I'm missing a drawing and/or its not available. I have the restoration drawings as well as the baldwin drawings. I'm trying to make the whistles. I do not have a drawing for the internal components for the valve
Attachments
whistle%25201.jpg
jessebanning

Postby CraigH » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:09 am

Jesse,

I've not heard of any drawings of the whistle in question. You may want to get ahold of Kyle Wyatt at CSRM though I'm about 99% sure they don't have them either.

During the Sonoma restoration they didn't have a need to make drawings, they had the needed whistle in hand (I've seen and reviewed all the known surviving shop drawings). There is the possibility that if they exist at CSRM, they're misfiled (that 1%). I found the shop cab drawings that way. It's unlikely they'd be willing to pull the whistle from the locomotive.

I'll give Kyle a call later today.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby elminero67 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 am

At least two former D&RG 4-4-0's ended up south of the border on the Torres y Prietas, likely former #85 and 88 of the D&RG. The worked out well on the TyP as the grades acrross the desert plains were slight, and the loads usually consisted of the former denver Circle coaches and firewood: #85 was likely destroyed either by Pancho Villa or other revolutiuonaries in 1915, while the #88 likely lasted a bit longer(only in Mexico could you find a woodburning narrow gauge 4-4-0 being shot at and chased by indians into the 1920's)
Attachments
4-4-0progresos.jpg
elminero67

Postby jessebanning » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Craig. The whistle drawing I posted is fromn the Sonoma restoration drawings. I think I may havew it figured out. Here are a pix of the whistle I made here is a youtube link for the sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFW3sPgKWA
Attachments
whistle 4.jpg
whistle 2.jpg
whistle 1.jpg
jessebanning

Postby Ross A » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:34 am

Does anyone have drawings or pictures on how the pilot truck assembly was mounted on these engines?

Sonoma 2009 07.JPG
Sonoma at CSRM 2009

I was able to get a shot of the rear of the assembly which shows a Vee shaped bar attached to the middle of the frame.

Ross A.
Troutdale,Or
Ross A

Postby Loco112 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Jesse,

I have a Baldwin drawing to the standard one-note freight whistle, as used on the smaller Baldwin Freight locos, and it looks just like yours pictured here. I bet that thing is the same as in 1880. If memory serve me accurately, that was a scalable part drawing, that later Baldwin blueprint sets are known for, the kind you just check off the size that you want to make. There are about 10 different sizes to choose from, with all dimensions represented by a variable of A-Z and you match the scale up to its line in a chart to get the dimensions you need for your scale.

The only problem is that Its buried in a stack of blueprints right now, and I can't go through them, yet. Some are dry and very fragile, having spent 50 years in India in an outdoor shop, but they are to be scanned in a few months. One of my forum members is planning to get started building that loco, so soon I'll be going through them to scan them and I'll see whats in that drawing. If it will help you I'll get it to you then.
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Postby Loco112 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:33 pm

How did the creators of PacNG construct the nice looking line drawing of the 8-18C used for your header of your site? I suppose its a white line drawing, as with a blueprint.

I'd like to make a few of different locomotives, one of them is the Baldwin 8-18C (drawing 4).
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Our own Craig H drew it in CAD as part of an on going project of his. There are similar line art headers through out the site in fact.

I am sure he'll chime in with more detail on them.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby James » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:08 pm

I've done a similar line drawings (suitable for 'filling in' with color to create colored drawings) of a few Baldwin locomotive types such as the 8-16C and 8-18D using only MSPAINT. It's mostly a question of the resources at your disposal (photographs, specifications, etc) and the time you're willing to spend. Better tools presumably would let you work faster. Better tools would also improve accuracy and let you create blueprint-quality drawings as opposed to 'hobbyist drawings' of a more general character. I'd suggest something better than MSPAINT if you want to make drawings you can use as model construction templates! However, it serves tolerably if all you want are decent looking two-dimensional views.

I don't know how the other guys do it, but I start by deciding a scale (so many pixels per foot), then begin the drawing with a line for the rail and the wheels on a side view and more or less add detail around them. From the front I start with the smokebox. I have an additional folder full of little add-on parts I made such as air brake pumps, water pumps, different pilots, smokestacks, etc, to swap around as necessary.

MSPAINT--or perhaps my skill with it--is inadequate for certain purposes. For example, I haven't been able to accurately replicate Baldwin style 1 wheels in it; I just can't figure out how to do the gradual shading transitions. I can't decide on a shade I like for russian iron jackets, either, but at least I can gain some comfort in knowing that the real deal had some variation to it.
James

PreviousNext

Return to Prototype Locomotive & Rolling Stock