PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Freight Decals

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

Freight Decals

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 am

In the near future V&T freight decals will be available from Shady Grove Decal Co. I spent part of the evening last night applying my first test set to a car I had around. The artwork needs a little tweaking but should be finished and available soon.
Attachments
102_5750.JPG
New freight decals on a Rio Grande Models Kimball flat car.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Freight Decals

Postby Randy Hees » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 am

Very nice... What red did you use for the flat?

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Randy,

There are two different paints being used here, one of them isn't really a paint....
I primarily paint my models with Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer. Long ago Eric was suggesting this for use in his kits and I've stuck with it ever since. The reason for this, is due to strange way I build things. I tend to build everything in sub-assemblies, because of this I often paint parts before I begin assembling to do test fitting and make any adjustments before I am satisfied enough to begin full assembly. This allows me to fill grab iron holes and things on the model with some putty, then prime and make sure I've got things smooth.

Once these basic parts have been painted up, I then paint details (stake pockets usually) and apply them. This way I only have to worry about some minor touch-up paint. Touch-up paint is my second color, this color is a very red mixture of model flex acrylics that I've been using for quite some time. Sadly over the years the label has fallen off and the other bottles I mixed from dried out and vanished. I want to say it is a mixture of "Light Oxide Red" with "Signal Red". I generally use this for touch up and small details as it is glossy and a slightly different shade of red. In this photo I posted here the difference between the two should stand out now. This model has extra "red #2" applied to the ends of the side sills, the reason for this was due to my needing to back-date the model I applied these decals too. Formerly, this model had been built up for 1920s so I had to take all those pesky safety appliances off. Then, I discovered that the laser cuts for the bolster bolts are in the wrong place. I wound up doing a little more tweaking than planned, but recreated all of that detail to my liking on the model above.

I find that using Zinc Chromate will get the job done in many cases, while the color seems odd at first, if you blast it with some glosscote before decaling and then use dullcote from then on, you'll get a nice representation of the V&T red. The downside, is of course applying decals directly on the primer, which is a bit of a chore. I've since finished this car up further and will try to get a shot of this week to post.
Andrew Brandon

Postby John Coker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 am

Andrew, any ideas where to look for NCNG decals? in On3? I am going to need some for a F&CC boxcar and a tank car.
John Coker

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 pm

John,

I believe San Juan has NCNG decals of some sort, they were formerly carried by Foothill Model Works.
Andrew Brandon

Postby John Coker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:48 pm

John at San Juan Car has graciously provided a kkits and parts to see what i could do with them, kitbashing them into NCNG cars. He told me that he was going to check with Jerry Kitts about NCNG decals. Last resort I get them made locally.
John Coker

Postby John Coker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 pm

An update on my NCNG decal search. Parker at San Juan Car handed a sheet to me. They can letter at least 4 boxcars and four tank or flat cars San Juan Decals DOES make them for Kitts. They are available from either Kitts or San Juan Decals.
John Coker

Return to Virginia & Truckee