PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Builders Plates WIP

Builders Plates WIP

Postby CraigH » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Andrew, Randy, and I have been talking a little about a V&T loco build sometime after this one is done.

Over on the Civil War Railroading Yahoo Group there's a fledgling effort to do some fancy builders plates...like the ones between drivers. One of the plates being discussed is identical to the Baldwin V&T plate that they want to do in HO Scale.

They're talking relief photo-etch, milled, or maybe even "coined". The coined version would be ideal but probably cost prohibitive. Anyway I've offered to do the artwork and it will become HDS product in the popular scales as a decal. Depending on what happens, I'll see if Pacificng.com can become a distributor for the metal version too, and at least have limited quantities available.

What I think I'll do is supply a set of 3 decals (one extra) plus a few templates. A disposable linework template decal would be applied to styrene or brass and serve as a cutting guide for a backing plate. The white space behind the monogram would be black as I don't think too many people could cut all that out.

Here's a quick W.I.P.
Baldwin Builders Plate WIP 01-01-11.jpg
WIP: Craig Hoefer

The gray bits scattered around the monogram are going to be a printing experiment. Basically the brass/gold bits will be overprinted with reds and yellows to simulate the shadowing on the brass wherever the gray is. I should have results later in the week.

I'll update on the Builder's Plate efforts as things develop. It'll be a great detail bit to have!

Might make a nice T-shirt!

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Re: Builders Plates WIP

Postby CraigH » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Here's another.
Booth / Union Ironworks of San Francisco. This one based on the plate on Lyon from the V&T.
V_T_Booth1.jpg
Artwork:Craig Hoefer
2011. All rights reserved, etc.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Re: Builders Plates WIP

Postby CraigH » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Having fun doing this.
Mason-Phantom-1857.jpg
Artwork Craig Hoefer.

Based on the image of Phantom in White's A History of the American locomotive.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Return to Digital Modeling