PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

SPC Fleet Needs Paint!

Re: SPC Fleet Needs Paint!

Postby Andrew Brandon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:28 am

The next SPC related color card is coming this weekend.
For now, here is a teaser for the Freight Equipment Colors:
Attachments
SPNG Color Card Sample 1-12-15.jpg
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:50 pm

At long last! I have posted the first of my full illustrations for Carter 2nd Class cars to the site. This illustration is based on SPC #42, using color information take from Coach #39's body (and some other surviving components from similar cars). I opted to post the easiest illustration to assemble to the site: Coach #42 circa 1904.
When I have finished the series, a detailed article will be written explaining the research that went along with them.

This particular illustration represents the appearance worn by ALL Southern Pacific owned passenger coaches of the period. The lettering on the car might differ, but the colors are all Common Standard colors.

That said, this is still a work in progress and there are a few caveats:

CS-1 Dark Olive: There is no exact Pantone match. Unlike Pullman Green, Dark Olive isn't as warm, it looks more like GN Empire Builder Green. For this illustration Pantone Black 3C is the closet shade, but it should be darker. For modeling purposes, Empire Builder Green is the way to go.

CS-2 Olive: The color used on my illustration is estimated, I do not have a Pantone match for that shade (yet).

Window Sashes: The 1909 CS paint list calls out Window Sashes using CS-1 Dark Olive. The use of mineral in the illustration is speculative until the appropriate CS paint list for 1904 shows up.
Andrew Brandon

Postby Rene » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:03 am

Hello Andrew,

thanks for the color charts so far....is there any color chart available for steam locos of the SPC railroad , or do you know some colors (Pantone Nr.) they have used?

Thanks Rene
Rene

Postby Andrew Brandon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Rene,

Unfortunately I am not as well versed in the locomotive paint schemes, but I can relate to you what I've been told. It is believed the SPC painted locomotives to match the newest purchased. So SPC #1 was originally Wine color but the next 4-4-0s were Lake and then on to Olive Green. When SP took over in 1886, the locomotives would have been repainted over time into the SP standard paint scheme of the period.

A timeline might look something like this:

Wine Color: 1875 - 1876
Lake: 1876 - 1877
Olive Green: 1877 - 1890
Black: 1900 - 1908

There are some interesting photos in the Image Gallery that showing off the nicer paint jobs of the pre-SP days.

Here is one of the 4-4-0s wearing Baldwin Style 49, painted Olive Green. Here is the spec sheet for this batch of locomotives.

Here is 4-4-0 #2 wearing a similar paint scheme. This locomotive was delivered in Lake, wearing Style 1. As this photo shows, it was repainted to match the latest style.

In the later 1880s as the locomotives became larger, the paint styles came more in line with the modern offerings from Baldwin. Here is 4-4-0 #15 on the Alameda wharf around 1890. Around the same period 4-4-0 #1 can be seen in this photo. While the striping on the tender is different (more like the Style 49 striping), the lettering is the same as used on #15. Little #1 is in need of a repaint judging by how dirty it appears.

As the SP tightened control over the SPC the locomotives began wearing the standard paint scheme used by the parent road. 4-6-0 #20 can be seen here wearing a perfect example of that paint scheme.

David Fletcher has done a great comparison of SPC #13 wearing Baldwin style #103 and the SP scheme. Early on the locomotives would have worn the silver/aluminum lettering and later white (I think).

I am sure John Hall or others may have more information, but I hope this helps.
Andrew Brandon

Postby Rene » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:26 am

Hello Andrew,

yes that helps. Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Last Saturday i also got answer from Bachmann Trains which I also asked. They told me that in the early beginning (1875-76) the color was near Pantone 1815C (similar to RAL 3011). The rest fits to your details.

Rene
Rene

Re: SPC Fleet Needs Paint! - Locomotives

Postby Randy Hees » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:06 am

Minor correction and expansion of the locomotive paint color table... Mostly involving when Black was adopted...

Wine Color: 1875 - 1876 (only locomotive No 1)

Lake: 1876 (locomotives 2 & 3 as delivered, possibly No 1 as repainted)

Olive Green: 1877 - 1887+ (locomotives 4 (1887) through 21 (1887)

Black: 1891 - 1908 (locomotive 23 (1891) to end, note, not sure about No 22

By 1891 we are seeing SP standard paint as SPC standard. This the same time that the large "Sunset" herald is applied to box cars

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Rene » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:48 am

Thanks Randy!
Rene

Previous

Return to Model Railroading