Andrew Martin Leach had been born in Vermont in 1841 to a lumbering family. By 1863 he had arrived in the Yuba County foothills and quickly established a general store. He began buying a number of small sawmills and timber land in the area in 1873, mostly from the Union Lumber Company. By 1879 he owned the Deadwood, Cottage, Clipper, Diamond Springs, Empire, Woodville and Challenge mills. These were all relatively small sawmills.
In 1877 Leach began to upgrade the Challenge Mill, adding a steam engine and boiler, more than doubling its capacity. Also in 1877 he began construction of a 50 mile long “V” flume1. The flume terminated at Moore’s station2 on the line of the Southern Pacific Railroad where Leach built a box factory and planning mill. Leach found an additional source of income selling the water from the flume to farmers. At least initially most of his mills were located along the flume.
In 1884 Leach added a logging railroad at Challenge, apparently designed and built under the supervision of R. E. Woodward, a noted civil engineer3. Several of the mills burned after 1886, with most of the loses uninsured.
The project, mills, flue, railroad and box and planning mills were capital consumptive. It is likely that Leach had to reach out to investors and partners (I saw one report on a partner in the planning mill). Eventually Leach incorporated the business as the Leach Lumber Company in 1890 with Leach and his wife, and San Francisco land investors, Jacob Levi Jr., Jacob Levi Sr., Otto H. Greenewold as directors. 4
As the enterprise expanded, at least one steam donkey and a steam road tractor were added. The railroad was extended several times, eventually to a new mill at Beantown, which was not directly served by the flume, and the railroad was adapted to haul cut lumber.
In 1892 in a search for new timber, Leach moved his railroad to the end of the flume at Owl Gulch. There he built a new railroad about a half mile long.
The Silver Panic of 1893 resulted in a business depression across the west, and the lumber industry was badly impacted. Leach’s business failed in 1894 was reportedly taken over by Levi and Greenwald of San Francisco, who were directors of the company.
The operation, Mills, flumes and the railroad was abandoned in place. About 1902 the locomotive was hauled by wagon to Marysville for shipment to a new owner5. Many rails were reportedly salvaged for use in local mines. The rest of the railroad was left behind, apparently to fall victim of World War II scrap drives.
Collected A. M. Leach Lumber Company Photographs.
Images collected from private collections, libraries and historical societies.